Monday 25 October 2010

What to bring with you to Japan - Jet Programme

So, I don't want to mess around ;) Lets just get a list of what you will need and will not need to take with you (and why).


  • Toothpaste - from what I've heard toothpaste here is not as effective as it lacks fluoride (something that is very common in western toothpaste). I took a huge tube with me. I'm just starting to run out after 3 months. Might want to get 2 or more ;)   I've heard you might be able to find toothpaste with fluoride in it if you search. The Kanji may be "弗化物" or  "フッ化物".
  • Shoes - In general you will need indoor shoes to wear in the office, sports shoes for active events, some fancy dress shoes, and outside shoes. Indoor shoes can just be slippers, or some sort of slip-ons (depending on your school of course). Dress shoes are just for those more formal events that may come up.
     If you have large feet, bring many pairs of shoes. I'm size 12US and it can be pretty hard to find shoes. I did however find some my size in one store. I haven't seen any shoes that go above 31cm in Japan, but who knows maybe one day.
  • Deodorant - I believe western deodorant has a stronger feeling. Many people think that Japanese people don't sweat, that is not true! Just visit in summer and you'll understand that everyone sweats haha ;) 
  • Clothes - I wouldn't really worry too much about clothes, they have various sizes available here. If you are worried then bring some extra, but I haven't meet many people that have had problems with clothes.  There are also stores here for bigger people to buy from. Bring at least 1 suit for those formal occasions (like Tokyo).
  • Books - bring along those English/Russian/Chinese books that you want to read. Obviously this is Japan, they read Japanese, so the selection will not be as great here. 
Ok, enough for now. I never really missed anything that greatly. I only wish I brought a bit more toothpaste and a New Zealand power board so I could hook up all my electronics at once.

Leave a comment if your interested in something particular. 

No comments:

Post a Comment